Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Morcilla de la Muerte!

                  



     What better way to resurrect the food blog than morcilla? A mixture of blood, rice, and herbs, morcilla was something I thought of making for a while, but finally worked up the courage to try it out.  It is not for the faint of heart!
Pork blood in the fridge freaked my mom out.  It certainly was a little different than what we're used to.  
    My grandparents are visiting from Reno, NV (HBD NV!) so they encouraged me to make this morcilla.  My grandmother is from Puerto Rico and reminisced about her mother making it when she was younger.  
     The general process is simple but takes a patient hand to stuff hog casing without one of those fancy sausage stuffers.  Mix seasonings with prepared rice,  then pour in pigs blood.  Stuff the links to whatever size you like, then drop them in almost boiling water.  Think long poach.  After they have solidified, place on a paper towel to dry.

culantro, garlic, cayenne peppers

 
The morcilla will turn black.  This is normal.  In Puerto Rico, the common way to eat morcilla is fried with a piece of fresh french bread.  My nephew helped me fry up some to serve with our gumbo for Halloween.  

before the fry
post fry
it will be better next time, but it was still pretty good.

Isabel finding out what is in it


Don't forget to take out the trash...

I hope you had a Happy Halloween!  Did you cook anything scary?

Happy Plates!




No comments:

Post a Comment