Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kick Started

Sometimes you need a real kick in the behind to get after it.  I had forgotten about this book I bought for a student a while back.  He enjoyed grilling hamburgers so I thought this would be good gift to expand the knowledge of grill mastering.  I came across the copy I bought for myself Tuesday night and it reminded me what I enjoy doing! I apologize if I've posted on this before...

Even if you "know how to grill," I would still recommend this book.  It has endless possibilities and will for sure inspire you to cook somethin', good lookin'.

Here's my personal dry rub I like to use on my pork products from ribs to shoulders and the loins (I make a lot at a time): 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup chili powder, 1 cup paprika, 1/2 cup black pepper, 1/4 cup cumin, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 1/4 cayenne, 2 oz Kosher Salt.  Feel free to make changes. This is America after all.

I recently bought two shoulders from J and J Packing Co in Brookshire, Texas.  Freshest pork in town. Seriously.  I injected them with Tony Chachere's Honey Bacon BBQ and finished it off with the rub.  Let them marinade over night.  

The best method for these is on the pit for 6-8 hours at 250 degrees.  However, they cook very nicely in the oven and can make your house smell really good.  I keep them wrapped in foil or cook them in an aluminum tray to hold all of the juices.  The most important things to remember are slow and low, and LET IT REST for at least 15 minutes before messing with it.

Serve with beans or chocolate cake.

Happy Plates.

and finally here's a song to get the fire started: The Prodigy- Firestarter

No comments:

Post a Comment